Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drug and alcohol abuse and HIV
Aug 3, 2012

I belong to a support group for HIV men and most are abusing drugs and/or alcohol. Doesn't this affect our HIV numbers? There are no social functions in my city for people with HIV people that do not include drugs and/or alcohol. It is my belief that people get a false sense of security with the new HIV drugs. They are under the impression that with these HIV drugs they can live what they think are normal lives including clubs and parties. Some are using daily. I was diagnosed 26 years ago and have used drugs and alcohol over the years. Every time I do, my numbers get bad. We need to teach people to take care of our bodies.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. We are fortunate to have so many powerful meds, but they don't relinquish anyone from acting responsibly. Drugs, including those for both HIV and recreational purposes (including alcohol), are processed in the liver and kidneys and strain our bodies. The more drugs, the more possibility for complications. When one also considers the number of possible drug interactions and the high potential for missing doses of HIV medications, use of drugs becomes that much more serious.

It is generally recognized that someone on HIV medications can safely take one drink of alcohol per day. People with HIV, however, are at higher risk for addictive disorders and caution should be used.

It is unfortunate that many places do lack opportunities for social interaction without the use of drugs and alcohol because they can, indeed, present problems for people on HIV medications. My suggestion? Start your own group. Where I live people faced this same situation and began forming their own social networks based on common recreational interests or affiliations.

Thanks for writing and good luck.

-David

Previous
Travelling with HIV meds
Next
aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.