The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood in nose from a dry heroin spoon

Feb 28, 2012

Dear Doctor,

Let me start by saying that I have been to rehab, and have been sober for two years, and just took an HIV test although I won't get the results back for a couple of weeks. I am in a state of panic. I never injected heroin but I used to snort it by mixing it with water. The reason for getting tested is that I read an article that HIV can be transmitted through the blood vessels in the nose. On one occasion, I had found a spoon that someone had used to inject. It had dried up heroin in it. I was in withdrawal and made an idiotic decision to add water to it and snort it. I estimate it had been there for AT LEAST 4 hours, probably more. Like I said, I remember the contents of the spoon to be dried up. There were also a cotton ball or two on the spoon, also dry. Am I doomed?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

First, let me say congratulations on being clean today. It is true that HIV can be transmitted intranasally if there is blood in the nose (common with snorting drugs) and there is exposure to other fresh blood that is infected with the HIV virus, such as might occur with sharing straws or other snorting implements. HIV is a relatively fragile virus that doesn't do well outside of its human host. Chances are any virus that might have been in the blood did not survive. An HIV test is the only way to know for certain.


HIV and recreational drugs
Atripla & Bentonite Clay

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint