Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Any danger in using mushrooms?

I'm HIV positive and I would like to know if I can take hallucinogenic mushrooms? How would that affect me? Will it affect my immune system or my health?

Thank you!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. There has been little research on the interaction of HIV medications and street drugs and no documentation concerning hallucinogenic mushrooms. That said, you should take precautions regarding your liver which may already be taxed due to the HIV meds. Hallucinogens are complex and have to pass through the liver several times. Finally, of course, you need to be cautious about using mushrooms at all. You cannot predict how you will react physically or emotionally and there can be dangers involved. Check out this page on harm reduction and mushrooms from DanceSafe.org.

-David

Interactions between Comtrex cold medication and Atripla
What is the risk that I caught HIV through a crackpipe?