Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Decided to give up drinking

Hi David,

Now being 35, I've decided to give up drinking. I find that it's taking me a lot longer to recover from my alcoholic binges since being HIV + (positive since 2007) and also being in my 30's. I've looked into the SMART programme as I find the AA Programme a bit to heavy handed with the "God" references.

I realise it's going to be hard...and I will lose a lot of so called "friends" [I question if they are friends or simply drinking buddies???]

I always read your forum and please continue to urge others on a clean and sober path.

Many Thanks

p.s. I also plan to start HAART as my CD4 T cells are 444 and my viral load 2,800. And I thought cleaning up my relationship with alcohol should be done first.

Keep up the good work on the Body.com Forum

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thank you for writing! Any addictive behavior has consequences on our emotional and physical health, so you have done yourself a great service getting sober. Recovery can be difficult but it carries great rewards, including the development of health, authentic friendships. Since your brought it up, let me repost the links to SMART Recovery and AA.

Be well,

-David

Alcohol treatment for someone HIV+
Interactions between Comtrex cold medication and Atripla