|Substance use and risk of HIV
Oct 25, 2011
I've heard that HIV can be passed through needle usage. What is another way that substance use can cause HIV?
| Response from Dr. Fawcett
You are correct that injection drug use is a major risk factor in transmission of HIV. Substance use can also dramatically increase the risk of HIV because it impacts high risk behaviors. Substances reduce inhibitions and therefore increase the likelihood of engaging in unsafe sexual practices.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Vagina After Having Sex During Period Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Muscle Ache After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rash After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From Having Oral Sex?
- Can You Get Hep B With A Condom?
- Long Term Effects Of Genital Warts
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.