Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Atripla and Rush Poppers

I have a patient on Atripla who is also using Rush poppers. I tell him to refrain from recreational drug use however he is persistent. What are the effects if any in relations to use of this product?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

There are several concerns regarding the use of poppers. Although Atripla doesn't contain a PI, it's important to know that mixing them with protease inhibitors (PIs), is dangerous because of interference with liver enzymes, creating the potential for increased blood levels of Viagra (or other similar drugs). Poppers also can cause a drop in blood pressure and should therefore be used cautiously. I'm glad you are able to dialog with your patients about recreational drug use - there can be significant issues of concern.

Thanks for writing.

-David

One couple's concerns about lube and the impact of ecstasy on CD4s
Drinking and Smoking and HIV