Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can consuming marijuana affect aggravate ulcerative colitis?
Jul 30, 2011

Hello. I am a 31 year old HIV+ male. I was diagnosed in 2007 while having a very bad flare up of what I was told was ulcerative colitis. At the time I did not know I had UC. I asked my doctor if smoking pot would be contraindicated for me. Of course, I know it's not good period but it helps me sleep and eat. My doctor said it was ok. I have been smoking 2 joints a night before go to bed. I am on Atripla - it is the only med I am on for my HIV. For the past few month my stomach has gotten much worse. I stopped the pot but it's been only a week and there is no improvement. I am on prilosec, pepcid, and phenergan. I take all these meds and feel no improvement. I have had an endoscopy and colonoscopy yearly since 07 but everything always comes back normal. I recently also had an upper GI exam that was also normal. So why am I so sick? I am undetectable even under the new standards. My cd4 was 634 not even 3 month ago. So could it be the pot and, if so, how long do I have to stay off it to feel better? Please help.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I understand your frustration with not finding an answer. A recent medical journal article appeared to confirm anecdotal reports that cannabis use may actually have some therapeutic effect for inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis is a form of IBD). Unfortunately marijuana smoke contains more toxins than nicotine smoke, so that might be aggravating your symptoms. if you feel the marijuana was helpful, you may want to discuss with your doctor the possibility of trying one of the prescription drugs that contain synthetic THC as you look for broader solutions for your ulcerative colitis.

Here is a link to a resource website that has information on treatment, drug trials, and other resources.

-David

Previous
Methadone and HIV meds
Next
I'm drinking heavily and have slight redness in my hands - could it be liver failure?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.