Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Clarify what amount of alcohol: Re: I'm not on meds...can I take alcohol?
Jul 25, 2011

Hi Doc,

I like your answer regarding alcohol, however, I find some people don't realize how much a glass of wine is (4ozs) or what constitutes a liquor drink (1oz) of hard liquor in, let's say, a summertime cocktail. I have learned to slowly pour wine from the bottle starting with my palm up, turning the bottle while pouring slowly until my palm is facing down, comes to 4ozs. So, two glasses of wine, equals 8ozs and not a full glass of wine.

Along with HIV and Hep B, but with no scarring and under treatment, I was advised to drink wine for the positive effects of it. With this, I learned the proper poured amount. I tend to find, if I drink more than that, my body reacts unkindly the next day (and I'm not talking about me being tipsy). So, I manage what I drink along with other things as I age. So, I'm asking you, to clarify. Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Fawcett

The amount of alcohol is basically the same in each of the following types of drinks: a 12 ounce beer, a 5 ounce glass of wine, or a 1.5 ounce cocktail. I don't follow your reasoning about two glasses of wine, no matter how they are poured, not being equal to a full glass of wine - it is probably a better idea to measure exactly what you are drinking.

That said, I would strongly recommend reexamining alcohol consumption with hepatitis B. I'm not sure who advised you, but alcohol does tax the liver and seriously aggravates hepatitis. Please consult with your physician to determine if the benefit of wine outweighs the risk in your specific case.

-David

Previous
ayurvedic herbs
Next
Methadone and HIV meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.