Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Alcohol and meds not mixing

I just read your response about the man who gets nauseous now when he drinks alcohol. He didn't mention WHAT he drinks though. Since starting my current combo (Truvada + Kaletra + Reyataz) about 4 years ago I had to stop drinking beer! I can handle a glass of wine or a mixed drink but a single beer gives me the runs in pretty short order! I've chalked this up to being sensitized to the yeast content of beer but that's only a guess. I have lots of other unusual or heightened sensitivities as well - some predating diagnosis and meds - some that are new (or just much worse) and possibly because of meds. Could the yeast in beer (or some other component that isn't a factor with wine or hard liquor) be the cause of my / his sensitivity?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I don't have an answer to your inquiry. I did a quick review of the literature and didn't find anything addressing variable sensitivities among types of alcoholic beverages and HIV. It may be an idiosyncratic response by your body. In any case, you seem to know what you can and cannot drink without ill effects. Remember, both alcohol and HIV meds stress the liver, so be certain to limit the amount you drink.

-David

What's an optimum duration between taking your meds and having a drink?
Is use of immune boosters recommended?