Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's an optimum duration between taking your meds and having a drink?
May 2, 2011

I understand that no or low alcohol with HIV meds is the desirable choice. My partner is starting meds in a week and he is at best a social drinker - with a beer or a single drink to last an evening and he uses no other substances. If he wanted to have an occasional beer what amount is least likely to cause problems? How much time should he keep between taking his meds and having a beer? Can he have a single drink of hard alcohol once or twice in a month?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

The literature shows that occasional drinking of alcohol (one drink per day) doesn't appear to be harmful to someone with HIV, although alcohol is a powerful drug and caution is always advised. He should check with his physician about particular drug interactions and alcohol. That said, the alcohol in one drink is usually metabolized within two hours, so I would allow at least that amount of time between a drink and his meds.

-David

Previous
Exhausted person in pain
Next
Alcohol and meds not mixing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.