Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Exhausted person in pain

Hello, I am a person with AIDS - my VL is undetectable and my CD4 is under 200. I have had pain for over 10 years and it seems to be getting worse. The issue is getting the doctor to understand I need more pain medication. This is truly hard to deal with and I have been fighting doctors for years. They know I am in pain, yet because of all the issues of others abusing narcotics they are making it hard on those who need them. Quality of LIFE is important, NOT QUANTITY . I just can't seem to get the doctors to understand that.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Chronic pain is extremely difficult because it hijacks life's pleasure and is, at least at times, so relentless. That said, because of the overprescribing of pain medication many doctors are reluctant to write ongoing prescriptions. This puts the patient in the uncomfortable and anxiety-causing position of worrying about controlling pain. Anyone taking pain medication over a long period will become dependent. I recommend seeing a pain management physician who will have a broader knowledge of options that can, hopefully, provide more benefit with less risk. Check out the website of the American Academy of Pain Medicine to locate a specialist in your area.

-David

Drug addiction and HIV/AIDS
What's an optimum duration between taking your meds and having a drink?