Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Drug addiction and HIV/AIDS

Hi Doc, My boyfriend was diagnosed with AIDS about 9 months ago when he went into the hospital for PCP pneumonia. At that time his CD4 count was 6 and his VL was very high. Since he's been on the meds (Truvada, Norvir, and Reyataz), for about three months, his CD4 count has risen to 104 and his VL has dramatically decreased. My concern is that he will wipe out all of the gains he has made since he's started using drugs again. Any suggestions? Do you know of any good treatment programs that deal with both drug addiction and HIV/AIDS?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

I'm glad to hear your boyfriend is responding well to the medications, but I am concerned about his drug use. As I have noted in other responses in this forum, recreational drugs do interact with HIV medications, particularly Norvir. Depending on the drug, they can decrease or increase the blood levels of the meds, interfering with their consistent metabolization. Regular drug use can also decrease the likelihood that the HIV meds are taken when they should be. My recommendation would be for him to stay away from the recreational drugs. There are plenty of resources for support (for example, NA or SMART Recovery) and most areas have agencies that treat both HIV and substance abuse. Check with your physician or case manager (if he has one) to see what local options you have. You can also check SAMHSA's (the US government's Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration) treatment locator website.

-David

Drinking while on meds
Exhausted person in pain