Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

atripla being sold on the street

I am a physician in a low-income area. Patients often come in seeking narcotic prescriptions to sell for profit on the street. Recently a few patients have asked for a prescription for the aids drug "ATRIPLA", and admitting that it goes for alot of money on the street! What possibly could this be?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Although I haven't personally heard of it in the US, there have been occasional reports of Atripla being sold on the black market in Africa. One of the component drugs is Efavirenz (Sustiva), which certainly has psychotropic properties, especially when one first begins taking it, although these effects are rarely described as something desirable. Other than as a mood changer, I suppose there could be a market for people who don't have insurance and are trying to obtain the drug. This is definitely a trend to watch.

Thanks, David

cannabis and CD4
HIv - Atripla - Marijuana - Vaporization