Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

nitrites and antiretroviral drug interactions

My partner and I were recently diagnosed as HIV+, and I was started on Atripla. My partner likes to use amyl/poppers during sex and I was concerned about potential interactions between the Atripla and poppers? I am aware of research on some of the other side effects of inhaled nitrites but now would like to know more about its effect on my HIV meds.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Mixing poppers and other drugs, particularly erectile dysfunction drugs and protease inhibitors (PIs), is dangerous because of interference with liver enzymes. While Atripla isn't a PI, you should still be cautious using poppers. It's a good policy to speak frankly with your physician about everything you take - even recreational drugs.

Explain the prevalence of LTNP Meth Users
cannabis and CD4