Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Meth and Viral load/CD4
Mar 21, 2011

I relapsed on meth (for about 12 months but am now clean 24 days). I was not drug compliant during much of that time and am expecting to find out in further testing that I have developed resistance to the meds I am currently taking. Luckily (I hope), I will be joining a drug study for a new anti-viral drug. My most recent labs showed a viral load over 50,000 (after years of being undetectable), but they also showed that my CD4 count was 741. (They have never been above 550 in the past 22 years). Is my viral "reactivation" causing an increase in CD4s and can I expect it to last?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Congratulations on being clean for 24 days. It is very difficult to break free from meth but it can be done. Substance use that interrupts treatment has a consistently negative impact on the effectiveness of HIV medications and, consequently, on viral load and CD4 counts. Drug resistance is very likely. I don't know why your CD4 count would be up after such a period of drug use, but the trend of your CD4 count is what is most important now that you are clean. As you know, CD4 counts do fluctuate (although not usually by that amount) or it could be a mistake. Continue to have work closely with your physician to decrease your viral load and develop a strong support system to continue to stay clean. -David

Previous
Sex addiction
Next
Explain the prevalence of LTNP Meth Users

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.