Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

amphetamines (yaba) and atripla

I have been on atripla for about 8 years now, just recently I have taken 'Yaba'(an amphetamine common in asia,) a couple of times, if I'm taking this i have a night off my atripla (only very occasionally.) But today I have a red rash all over my body and it's really itchy, I hope this is not a sign of resistance. I have always had an undetectable viral load (less than 50) and a cd4 count between 600 and 1200. This is only about the 10th time I have had a night off my meds, and I have never had problems before (just the night terrors, but besides that atripla has been working great. I am in Cambodia and am due to see my doctor in Australia in 3 weeks, should I persevere till then or get on the plane now??

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Yaba is a derivative of methamphetamine common in southeast Asia. It shares all the risks of meth, including not taking HAART meds which can lead to resistance. I can't say if going off your meds ten times has led to resistance in your case, but it certainly is risky. Yaba (and meth) can cause several types of skin conditions including rash at injection sites (although it's normally in pill form), and a sensation of bugs under your skin which can lead to compulsive scratching and even staph infections. While your rash could be the result of yaba, it could also indicate a drug reaction which could be very serious - you should have it checked as soon as possible.

HAART resistance and meth
Sex addiction