Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Recreational Drugs & Starting Treatment

I am getting ready to begin a regiment of Sustiva, Emtriva, & Viread. My CD-4 count is 246 and viral load is 5000. What effect will crystal meth have interacting with these drugs? What effect will it have on my counts?

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Crystal meth represents a perfect storm with regard to HIV. Because it increases sexual preoccupation, reduces inhibition, and impairs judgment, it's easy to see why it greatly increases risky sexual behavior. For individuals that are already HIV positive, there are other concerns about meth. Despite sometimes making great effort, many meth users simply don't take their antiviral medications when they should, which opens the door to drug resistance. Additionally, meth is metabolized by the same enzymes that process Norvir, which can lead to higher than expected levels of meth in the body, an overdose risk. Finally, there are studies that indicate meth negatively impacts the immune system in ways that are not completely understood. Stick to your meds and stay away from meth.

Poppers
anxiety over one time heroin use