Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Ectasy, Cocaine or Marijuana and HAART Treatment

My HIV doctor told me that alcohol for me is strictly prohibited ,what about ectasy pills, cocaine or marijuana, taken of course once or twice a month in small dosage...I can`t be serious and sober all the time! Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

If your doctor told you that alcohol is strictly prohibited, then you can safely assume this applies to other recreational drugs as well. Such drugs stress the kidneys, liver, and other systems of your body which is already under assault. There are studies that show that cocaine can accelerate disease progression and that MDMA (ecstasy) is toxic to nerve cells; these drugs clearly complicate life with HIV. Medical marijuana, or course, is gaining recognition but its benefits don't eliminate the potential for abuse. I understand the need not to be serious all the time, but I encourage you to carefully chose how you find relief. Don't underestimate the power of relaxation, meditation, or even some good laughs with close friends.

Can Poppers lower my CD4 count?
Crystal Meth and CD4 Count