Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

HIV Meds and Other drugs

I know it might sound weird to ask but its the most responsible way to assure i'm not putting myself at greater risks. Is it safe to use the recreational drug GHB with Norvir+Truvada+Reyataz ? How does it interact ? As well as with alcohol, separately, of course. I appreciate your answer.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

There are few controlled studies of the interactions between antivirals and recreational drugs, but there is at least one published case study that documents a nearly fatal reaction from the recreational use of GHB (gamma hydroxybutyrate) and Norvir. GHB is sometimes prescribed and such use, when coordinated by a physician with antiviral therapy, should create no complications. The recreational use of GHB, however, is laden with risk. Taken in order to increase euphoria and sociability, this tasteless and odorless drug is often mixed in water "on the fly ," creating the potential for complications that include vomiting, liver failure, respiratory problems, and even death. Alcohol increases the danger of slower respirations and should never be used with GHB. Let your physician know about your concerns so that you can collaborate to keep you safe and healthy.

my partner has hiv i do not
drugs n HIV