Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my partner has hiv i do not
Jan 6, 2011

my partner has tested poz me and mychild are both neg he wasn't the most pleasant man to be with we were already having issues in our relationship that has been brought on by drug abuse and alcoholism now he has recently found out he is hiv+ and I understand this is a devestating blow to anyone.but being that we already on the verge of a break up then this happens i kinda feel obligated to stay with him .but he is not on any meds he is not seeking any help he's doing nothing he act's has if nothing happened and everything is ok. i look at him and see that he's losing weight and other small things. my question is would i be wrong of i just cut him and this destructive behavior out of my life. or should i continue to try to be a support system for him.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

It is not uncommon for someone who recently discovered they are HIV+ to react by shutting down and closing up into denial. Any existing drug and alcohol problems often get worse as the person tries to numb or escape from painful feelings. They need support and encouragement, although ironically at those moments they may be most resistant to it. Ultimately your friend needs to make a decision to deal with this painful reality, including his addiction. While he clearly needs the support, it's unhealthy for you and your child to be around self-destructive behavior. Find organizations in your community that can provide assistance for both him and you. Speak with him about both of your needs and set clear boundaries. If he can't begin to help himself you may have to let go with love.

Previous
meth and Atripla
Next
HIV Meds and Other drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.