Substance Use and HIVSubstance Use and HIV

meth and Atripla

Was tested positive in May, began Atripla and in 30 days lowered my viral load from 53000 to 141. can the use of meth and atripla decrease efficacy ? I use meth occasionally, only twice a year and very little amount when in Los Angeles. I know meth is bad anyway, just wondering what effects are expected.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Meth combined with antivirals (or by itself, for that matter!) is never a good idea. No specific cases of this combination are documented in the literature, but combining meth with other antivirals (notably Norvir) can increase the amount of meth in the bloodstream to dangerously toxic levels. There are other studies that appear to indicate that meth and other amphetamines damage the immune system in ways that are not clearly understood. Meth is one of the toughest drugs I've seen in 25 years of practice and would strongly advise that even twice a year is too much.

asdg
my partner has hiv i do not