Remember me: New Diagnosis CD4=0 VL=300,000

Hello Dr. Pierone

I don't want to take up much time as I think it is more important to answer posts of people in crisis who have recently been diagnosed as it was a life saver for myself.

Just to let you know and others though. After my initial diagnosis on December 23/04 and the start of treatment on Jan. 8th 2005 with the counts listed in the title. I was very scared and thought things would be pretty scarey but thanks to the hope you provided I just recieved the following results from my Feb17/05 test:

CD4=90 (already!!) VL= 1,000

That is after 6 weeks of treatment!! Can you believe it?!!!

I am on Sustiva and Combivir. I was on Dapsone for prophylaxis but had an allergic reaction and I am allergic to sulpha so I am now taking pentidine( not sure if I spelled it right?) on a nebulizer with no side effects!

Things are looking pretty good and I consider myself lucky that I have had no side effects and such a good response.

I guess I have one question. Is it normal to have such a response so quick as I was prepared to not see results in my CD4 count until the end of the year!

Thanks again and will keep you posted.

Please don't give up on the important work that you do:)

Sincerely:):) canuck

After commencing antiretroviral therapy we expect a rapid drop in viral load accompanied by (or followed by) an increase in the CD4 count. We see on average an increase of CD4 cells in the 100 150 range after a year, but some of that increase happens fast like in your case.

Thanks for the follow up and keep us posted.

CROI Dendritic Cell Vaccine
stopping after starting