Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is this accurate?
Mar 2, 2005

I am 35yr, living in Jackosnville, FL, HIV+ for 4 yrs. and on meds (Sustiva, Emitriva, Viread) for 15 months. I started meds with CD4=400 and VL of <30,000 and I've had no adverse side effects and I'm currently at 750 CD4's and undect. I run 5-7 miles 4-5x week and take pretty good care of myself.

Here's the question: When I visted my HIV Doc recently to review my latest lab results I asked him how long I could continue with my current meds. He said hopefully 3 yrs. and then we'd have to start looking at other combinations. Is this accurate? I mean, I feel great and am nearly 100% compliant, but will I only have three years on this combination? If so, then what? For some reason I let his bleak prediction trouble me and I was curious what you think.

Thanks for all you do on this website! It really has been a beacon of hope for me.

Ken

Response from Dr. Young

Ken- Thank you for your post and very kind words.

I'm not sure where your doctor is coming from, except perhaps, a point of conservative prediction.

In general, it is pretty rare (about 1-5% per year) to see people who are past the first year of treatment to have treatment failure. If you're nearly 100% adherent to the treatment, then I'd see no reason why you'd have to be worried about failure in three years. I have patients who are still on their "first" HAART treatment, following initiation in 1995. We've modified things along the way to make medications easier or better tolerated, but there hasn't been an issue with treatment failure or drug resistance in these patients.

Since you've started on a durable and potent first-line treatment, things should go well for a long time.

Keep up the good (and sometimes difficult) job of adherence. I think that your prospects are anything but bleak.

Have a happy and healthy year; and thanks for reading. BY

Previous
Norvil and herbal products
Next
The future....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.