| Want to have a baby but not treatment
Nov 23, 2004
I have been HIV+ for the past 10 years, I now want to have a baby but do not want to go on treatment but very desperate to have a baby. My partner is negative we can go for artificial insermination, how high is the risk to pass the virus to the baby if we use niverapine? my cd4 count stands at 430
| Response from Dr. Pierone
The risk of mother to infant transmission of HIV on no medications is about 25 percent. With the use of nevirapine alone it is reduced to about 8 percent. With use of traditional triple agent HAART it is less than one percent. These numbers speak for themselves.
The outcomes in children born to mothers on HAART are excellent and only rare cases of toxicity due to HAART have been reported. If one does the risk benefit calculus the arguments in favor of standard HAART are compelling. Thanks for posting and best of luck.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Rectal Bleeding After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Red Spots After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Hepatitis B From Touching Blood?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.