HIV and Cholesterol

Hello Dr. Young and thank you so much for the great work you do on behalf of the HIV/AIDS community and the same goes to all the doctors here on The Body.

This past June I started a clinical study sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline on: Lexiva, Epzicom, and Norvir. So far I've been doing great. I just got my latest lab from 10/1/04 and my TCells are now 608 from 343 as of Dec '03 and viral load has been undetectable now for 2 months from over 74K copies. However, my cholesterol have gone up to 221.

I exercise 4 times a week and do a combination of weights and cardio for about an hour and a half. I do not smoke nor do recreational drugs. I cook all my meals and try to eat as healthy as possible. On the weekends I might have 2 or 3 glasses of Red wine with dinner. I'm 37 years old. 5'10" 174lb and besides the fact of my HIV I feel fine and doing good. Is there anything I could do/take that could help keep my cholesterol and Triglycerides under control perhaps without having to add another drug to my regimen? Again thank you so much and God bless!!

Elias in Washington, DC

Thanks for your question and comments. Most importantly, I want to thank you for volunteering to participate in the clinical study-- it's because of very special persons like you that we now have better medications to treat HIV.

Elevations in cholesterol are common among persons who start on HIV treatments. In this regard, the newest protease inhibitors, atazanavir (Reyataz) and fosamprenavir (Lexiva or Telzir, in Europe) appear to have a very much more favorable cholesterol pattern for first time treatments and previous PIs. In the case of fosamprenavir boosted with ritonavir, a recent analysis of cholesterol changes shows that, on average, total cholesterols increase modestly in the first months, then level out. Additionally, and probably most importantly, some of this increase comes from rises in the HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) fraction and the cardiac risk ratio (HDL/LDL cholesterol) actually doesn't appear to change too much.

So, before we talk about what you have to do to improve your numbers, it might be worth discussing your complete lipid profile (total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides) with your doctor or study coordinator. It may turn out that your profile requires very little intervention. I certainly wouldn't be too interested in simply adding another pill to lower your cholesterol at this point, though as you've suggested a diet rich in fish oils, fruits and vegetables and a glass of red wine now and then probably wouldn't hurt, and might even lower your cholesterol.

I hope this helps, Thanks again for your kind words and volunteerism. BY

Lipodystrophy with high Cholesterol/ Tryglicerides.
AIDS Diagnosis and Mono