Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not in the best interest of Drug Companies to produce a vaccine?
Jan 18, 2003

I hear from alot of people that the big drug companies would rather sell their expensive pills and tablets than find a vaccine for HIV because it is more profitable that way. Is it why it's taking so long for a vaccine?

Response from Dr. Wohl

Depends on how much a cynic and conspiracy theorist you are. The company that makes an effective HIV vaccine can certainly make a lot of money. There is a huge need for the vaccine and many people will pay (a lot) to get it. The HIV medication business, on the other hand, is a competitive business with a bunch of companies fighting over market share.

Stranger things have happened but I for one do not believe there is a grand scheme to keep the world safe for protease inhibitor marketing at the expense of a breakthrough like an HIV vaccine. I think the reason a vaccine is not yet here is that it is awfully tough to make one. DW

Previous
Hot Flashes
Next
Absorption...Can it lead to resistance?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.