Trizivir or Combivir with Viramune

hello. I was infected in mid January 02. i tested positive on March 29. Since then my cd4 counts were 151-370-509-371-440. My VL were 40k->75k-64K and 106K as of today. I have also had some other problems, probably unrelate to HIV, indicating Colitis (having colonoscopy this week), a hernia and a piece of stool lodged in my appendix. My Doctor is excellent and i trust her judgement all the way. She has suggested Trizivir if my VL is lower than 100K and Combivir with Sustiva if it is not. I am afraid of Sustiva though. Since i have had some emotional problems already Sustiva's potential psychological side effects make me cringe. Would Neviripine or something else be a good choice instead of Sustiva? I still would like to start with Trizivir. What do you think? If it is possible to respond quickly i would greatly appreciate it. I am meeting with my Doctor this week with plans to begin this week.

Hi-

Get five HIV clinicians in a room and ask them when is the best time to start HIV medications and you get 15 answers. My question to you is whether it is really time to start HIV treatment? Your CD4 cell count, if I understand you, has bounced all over the place. I wonder if your CD4 percentage has stayed about the same and what it is. Currently, many clinicians wait to start HIV therapy until the CD4 cell count is below 300-350/mm3. While some will be more aggressive in treating those with higher viral loads watching what your numbers do over time is reasonable.

A good reason to start HIV therapy is if you have symptoms from your HIV infection. If your colitis is new, it could be a manifestation of your HIV (either the virus itself and or some other infection). Fevers, weight loss, thrush all could motivate me to treat earlier.

What to start if that is what you and your doctor decide to do? Well, Combovir and efavirenz as a regimen is getting lots of press now as a great initial combo. If your viral load persists at a level above 100,000 copies/mL this would be a fine choice. While there are psychological side effects from efavirenz that can be concerning (e.g. vivid dreams, feeling 'off' or in a fog) if these happen and are serious you can change to nevirapine. Trizivir is very convenient and a good drug but most clinicians feel more comfortable using it when the viral load is lower than 100,000 copies/mL.

My advice, if you are not symptomatic from HIV infection, would be to wait and see what your counts are doing and where they settle. At that time you and your doctor can decide based on your numbers which combo to choose, with a back-up plan for each in case of intolerance. DW

Not the regimen I thought
is it inevitable