tenofovir as first-line?

I have a number of HIV patients in my practice who have not started on meds. I just read a report from the conference in Seattle (http://www.thebody.com/confs/retro2002/sax1.html) on early reports about tenofovir.

Do you see this as promising? Would you start someone on tenofovir even though the results are premature?

Always looking for new options...

You guys are great! Thank you.

Thanks for your question.

Like many thoughtful care providers, you've asked an important question about tenofovir. As reviewed by Paul Sax in TheBody; initial data from the Markowicz group provides strong evidence that TDF is quite potent.

I do agree with Dr. Sax, that I'd wait for the results of the pivotal phase III studies before making generalized recommendations about TDF in treatment naive persons. Several questions will need to be answered-- issues related to relative efficacy and potency in the comparative study, resistance at time of treatment failure.

Certainly there are persons who might benefit from the use of TDF prior to the release and maturation of this data; what makes all of our jobs interesting (and at times challenging) is taking care of individuals. Each individual brings to the treatment decision table a different set of needs and wants; hence each person might benefit from a different initial regimen.

Hope this is helpful. BY

viread
looks like Viral blip now what?