For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

When or if to reveal status

I was diagnosed positive six months ago. God has blessed me even in this, because it has brought me back to him and I have a fuller understanding of grace. My relationship with my wife has improved greatly, even though she now knows I lived a double life. I have confessed to her, but who else needs to know? I am a deacon at my church. Should I step down? Should I confess to my church even though my life is on a path to recovery, sanity, and sobriety? Whom should I share my status with, or should I just take joy in my walk with God and my improved relationship with my wife, and keep to myself?

Response from Rev. Brown

My friend: When it comes to revealing your status to individuals it is really up to you on your terms, and in your time. As with disclosure comes a whole lot of things within our emotions, acceptance by others, and the stigma that can then occur. When it comes to our spiritual walk we must be reminded that we are forgiven for all of our sin due to the work of God. When it comes to stepping down, I would first seek the Lord and the counsel of leadership outside of the church you serve in to give you perspective. Also with the disclosing to the church is another thing that I would say handle with percaution and wait on God's timing for something like that. I would encourage you to take heart and joy right now in your path to recovery, and work on your relationship with your spouse, and as those are strengthend then take steps to dealing with the other matters that you have brought up.

Is this medical or emotional????
pray for me trying to get pregnant