Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

When to tell your children\family

I took an HIV test and got the results yesterday. I am a single father with 3 kids all teenagers and am worried about how to tell them that I am positive. Should I tell them now or should I wait.

Response from Rev. Brown

I think that you should tell your children when you are ready, and when you feel they are ready to receive this type of news from you, especially as a single father they will most likely have a lot of questions due to the fear of losing you. With that in mind you must be willing to deal with the range of emotions that they will experience from you disclosing this information to them. If you feel as though you are prepared to deal with all the emotions and questions at this moment then I would encourage you sit down with them and share with them. If you are not ready to deal with all the emotions and questions at this moment then I would say you may want to hold off for a time until you are. I would also think about finding out what kind of resources are available as well as after you share with your children further individual counseling and family counseling may be needed. So before sharing with your children make sure that as my father would tell me "have all your ducks in a row before doing anything".

Bad things to good people
husband positive, me negative