Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to tell your children\family
Feb 24, 2012

I took an HIV test and got the results yesterday. I am a single father with 3 kids all teenagers and am worried about how to tell them that I am positive. Should I tell them now or should I wait.

Response from Rev. Brown

I think that you should tell your children when you are ready, and when you feel they are ready to receive this type of news from you, especially as a single father they will most likely have a lot of questions due to the fear of losing you. With that in mind you must be willing to deal with the range of emotions that they will experience from you disclosing this information to them. If you feel as though you are prepared to deal with all the emotions and questions at this moment then I would encourage you sit down with them and share with them. If you are not ready to deal with all the emotions and questions at this moment then I would say you may want to hold off for a time until you are. I would also think about finding out what kind of resources are available as well as after you share with your children further individual counseling and family counseling may be needed. So before sharing with your children make sure that as my father would tell me "have all your ducks in a row before doing anything".

Previous
Bad things to good people
Next
husband positive, me negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.