Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

homosexuality and the catholic church

I have a problem that I don't think you can help but I'll ask anyway. as you may have guessed that I'am a gay man, and Catholic I still consider myself catholic even though I was excommuncated for tell my preist that I was gay and having problems with it, he inturn consulted with the bishop and was promptly called into the rectory where the bishop said that the catholic church doesn't accept homosexuality and that I was to be excommuncated, now with that add my father dieing at a early age so I had no adult male to confide in and the church turned it's back on me I was truely confused add to that my mother clued me in on my father's view on homosexuality which was negitive to say the least, now that I have HIV and I am out to my family, my biggest fear is that my father will hate me on the other side.

Last year I almost got my answer I almost died, why do I put so much weight to a man I realy didn't even know, there is not a day that goes by that I don't worry about how my father feels about me, I feel that I'm a disapointment to him and that really hurts, and the added guilt of the church doesn't help eather, I have recently visited the church here in Reno, and the dioses here doesn't recognise the excommucation that the dioesis in Stockton and they welcomed me back into the church (I guess the latin lessons didn't go to waste)but I find the church cold and dispondant. I truely love my faith in god and the catholic church but having problems accepting the churches welcome, you can see why. Sorry that I have rambled on like I have. I guess I can take all the hate that the general population can dish out but getting it from my safe haven(the church)it really destroyed me. Any comment or help that may apply to my problem would be appreciated.

Response from Rev. Brown

My friend: I am saddened that a place that you look to for encouragement and love has left you disappointed and feeling destroyed. Even though man has let you down know that the love God has for you is great. There are times individuals miss the greatest lesson God has ever taught, and that is the lesson of love. Though there are people and things that have hurt you I want you to rest assure that God still loves you, and that God has been with you through it all. It is good to see that you have found another place of worship, I encourage you to look at it with a different lens sometimes when we enter into new environments of worship the despondence that we feel isn't one of hatred, fear, or questioning, but a feeling out period which happens in most places of worship when a new person enters into the community of faith. It is my hope that even though it feels as though the church has failed you that it is evident that God has not even in that you have someone here who you can talk to and have open honest conversation. God due to His love always gives us what we need when we need it in a multiplicity of ways.

Need a Priest
A cry for help