Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Moral Dilemma: Declining Medical Therapy for HIV
Jul 29, 1998

Dear Father DeMartini,

I am a Roman Catholic and a gay male. I was diagnosed HIV positive three months ago. T-cells were low and I started onm antivirals at the urging of my doctor. I myself am a health acre provider, so I am aware of the prognosis with medical treatment (many years, long-term survival) and without (usually a matter of a few years). I have had debilitating nausea and vomiting and severe fatigue since starting these medications. My life is a fraction of what it once was, I am a very active person by nature. I have decided to give up the medications.

I am at peace with the HIV, but somehow feel uneasy about declining treatment, knowing it will most probably shorten the time I can survive with HIV, barring getting hit by a bus tomorrow, for nothing is certain.

If the medications would continue my life for decades, I cannot imagine the hell of going on like this. There is no peace in my day. Sometimes I have to stop the medications for 24-48 hours just to get on my feet again, and by the end of the first day, I have my energy, passion, and my life back again! It breaks my heart and my spirit to have to start the medications again, and this last time, I have decided to not start them again.

Am I cheating God in this? I try to follow closely in His will, but my prayer life and spirit suffer so much on medication. I do not expect God will save me from this disease, but I know He will be with me through it all.

Am I wrong seeking this approach knowing it will eventually result in an early death?

I welcome your input.

Sincerely, Adam

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Adam--Thank you for your very moving letter. I am sorry that it has taken me a while to respond--I have been away at our annual AIDS Ministry Conference in Chicago. In listening to many men and women living with HIV/AIDS and also struggling with adverse effects of drugs, I have learned a great deal about the dilemmas which you face. and I admire your honesty and courage.

First of all, I believe that the rightness of our decisions is linked to a sense of inner peace and acceptance. I am struck by that spirit in what you have said. You speak of being able to pray more easily when you are off the medications--this may be a good time talk to God about your anxiety in stopping meds. I sincerely believe that God answers our prayers in some way---soemtimes in ways we least expect.

I also think that there are others who face this dilemma and hope that you have access to some support systems--especially ones in which matters of faith and spirituality are welcome. I do know of several wonderful pastoral counselors in Florida and would be happy to give you their names if you wish. You can contact me directly by phone at 707-874-3031 or e-mail to ncan@sonic.net.

I keep you in my prayers and pray that your sense of peace will grow and that God will hold you close. Fr. Rod

Previous
Need insight and guidance
Next
Awaiting punishment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.