Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

priest with HIV
Jun 29, 1998

I was just diagnosed with HIV and am a Catholic priest. I have told my bishop who is very compassionate and understanding. My problem is how do I deal with my family and parishioners. I don't have any visibile signs of the disease but am constantly thinking about it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear brother priest,

First of all I want to extend by support and promise of prayers for you as you face the reality of living with HIV. I am glad that you have already taken the step of speaking with your bishop and I hope that you have access to other people who can help you look at the new questions which have entered your life. I would suggest that you talk with your bishop regarding your anxiety around divulging your HIV stsuats to family and friends. Everyone I have ever journeyed with around this disease faces this issue--who can I trust to continue to treat me with love and support and not heap on judgement and shame? You know your family better than I and would be better able to know their willingness to face this news with you. Parishioners are a more diverse group and there is a risk of judgment or negativity from some--but again, you know your people better than I. An important criteria in sharing the news of your HIV status is--can this person provide positive energy, support and understanding----if that is doubtful, why put yourself at risk for more hurt! Please keep in contact--the National Catholic AIDS Network has information about retreats, support for HIV+ priests--you can call me at 707-874-3031 or contact me at ncan@sonic.net. Peace, Rodney

Previous
new catholic, mother of aids victim
Next
husband positive,me negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.