The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

new catholic, mother of aids victim
Aug 12, 1999


I want to use the experience I have gained as mom and "adopted" mom to 2 special young men. One of course was my son sean...and the other his friend ron.

Now that I am Catholic, I want to have a place to use the experience to help other moms who are helping their children (though grown) through this terrible time. I learned much, and I have much to give. I am not, however, a "trained professional".

Please let me know some areas to look for service through the Catholic Church and ministries..

Julia Deans

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Julia--Thank you for your letter and for your willingness to reach out to other moms who journey with their children living with HIV/AIDS. I would encourage you to begin in your home parish or diocese to simply let it be known that you have some experience and insights and want to invite other moms for support and sharing. I still am amazed by how many people--moms and dads, sisters and brothers, family members, friends and partners still occupy pews in our churches and live in silence with the reality of having lost someone or are caring for someone with HIV/AIDS.

I am aware of a group in the SF Bay Area called MOMS (Mothers Organizing Mothers) You can reach them at 415-673-8350. Certainly I would encourage you to be a part of our National Catholic AIDS Network---you can visit our web page at -- we would be happy to be a resource and support to you in your effort to join with other moms in the Catholic Church. I will keep you, Sean and Ron in my prayers, Fr. Rod

Please Pray for my Daughter
priest with HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint