Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Please Pray for my Daughter

Father DeMartini , We are a Roman Catholic family living in Maine . Three months ago my seventeen year old daughter tested postive for the AIDS virus . My husband and I are very concerned about her because she has started isolating herself from her friends and staying indoors and sleeping constantly . She is seeing a counselor but we have yet to see any improvement in her mood . This Thanksgiving I tried to wake my daughter up and talk her into to comming with us to her aunts house for dinner and to see her cousins . She refused to come and when I asked her why she said " I don't feel very thankful this year mom " and began crying so hard it was frightening to me . To add to my guilt I feel responsible for my daughter contracting HIV . When she was 16 years old she told me she was having sex with the boy she has been going steady with since she was 14 years old . I took her to the doctors to get a perscription for birth control pills . HIV didn't enter my mind . I want to ask you to please pray for my family Father DeMartini that we might be forgiven and grow stronger . Thank you for taking the time to read my letter .

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Mom,

Thank you for your letter and be assured that you, your daughter and your whole family are in my prayers. I not only pray for strength in the midst of the challenges you are facing but also for a spirit of healing and forgiveness. It is not uncommon that people living with HIV and those close to them feel a deep sadness as well as feelings of blame and shame. It is important to share these feelings and to have them heard with respect and support. It is also helpful to search for ways to let go of what cannot be changed in order to make room for what can still be. This can include growing closer as a family, reminding your daughter that you love and accept her every day, and being open to God's grace which can help us forgive ourselves and each other. Let your daughter know about TheBody and this forum so that she mnight also share her experience and learn from the journey of others living with HIV. Blessings and peace, Fr Rod

Should I or Not?
new catholic, mother of aids victim