Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I or Not?
Jan 28, 2000

Dear Father,

I am writing to you with heart felt feeling's for all those that suffer personally with this disease.

I am the daughter of a man who I just found out has full blown aids. I have not seen my dad for 10 years now due to issues of when I was a child and was actually in the process of civil litigation when I found out about his Aids status.

So instead of civil suit being done I asked for a personal meeting with my Dad. He agreed at first but now it seems that he does not wish to see me.... he has very little time left.

I want to see my dad to tell him that I LOVE him and that I forgive him. This is not something that I feel that I can say in a letter to him as he needs to see my face.

I do not want to trespass though on his space.

Should I just go and see him or not?

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Friend---Thank you for your letter. I sense the immense pain and confusion that you are experiencing and I imagine that your dad is sharing those feelings as well. Since I understand that you were in the process of litigation before finding out about your dad's illness, I suppose that he may still have feelings of fear or anger or uncertainty about your intentions in wanting to see him face to face. I believe that you want to move beyond your own pain and the distance between you to express love and forgiveness. It may be that dad just needs some more reassurance and a personal note or phone call may be the best way instead of suddenly showing up on his doorstep. I will keep both of you in my prayers. Blessings and peace, Fr Rod

Previous
Should I or Not ? UPDATE !!!
Next
Please Pray for my Daughter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.