Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am so afraid and skeptical....
Sep 14, 1998

Dear Father: I am a RC male, age-38, my older brother is a RC priest, and I was raised in a charismatic family setting. Recently, I've been doubting the afterlife, wondering if it really exists. I believe I get too scientific, always wanting PROOf,i.e.-doubting thomas. The current books out that talk about the Gospels being fabrications and the Shroud being a fake do not help matters, either. My wife is HIV +, and I think I may be also, but I am so afraid to get tested, because I FEAR DEATH SO MUCH...Please help...

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Friend, Thank you for your very honest sharing. My first thoughts after reading your letter were the very real words of Jesus - "Come to me, all you who labor and find life burdensome and I will refresh you". I sincerely believe that despite all the confusing and contradictory messages about the world or our religion, the words of Jesus are unambiguous. I believe in the afterlife as a place and experience in which all that has been loving and life-giving here on earth will be "multiplied" eternally. I am certain that there are people you know and have loved who have died and I believe that they are now encouraging you to take steps in your life to give the fears and uncertainties to the Lord and to find a way in which you and your wife especially can share the burdens associated with HIV. Facing uncertainty is always difficult but it become impossible if we try to do it alone. I would be happy to be a "listening ear" if you would like to stay in contact or perhaps I can recommend someone closer to where you live--you can contact me directly at ncan@sonic.net or (707) 874-3031. You are in my prayers, Fr. Rod

Previous
A simple prayer please?
Next
Returning to Jesus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.