Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

how to disclose to children, sons, daughters

I would like to help parents summon the strength to disclose to their children that they have either HIV or AIDS. In my work with families I see the fear parents have in disclosing to their children. Can you guide me with this very stressful issue?

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Friend, Thank you for your question. First of all, I want to thank you for your desire to reach out to moms and dads who are HIV+ as they may struggle with sharing this information with their children. Of course there are many difficult issues involved here in the reasons a person may not want to disclose as well as the ability of the child to understand what this means. I suggest that you simply be willing to support and listen to the parent who is struggling. If they need some information about care for their children or ways to explain the disease to them or whatever else -- you may be able to respond or you can help them get in contact with other people and agencies who work with families. In addition, it may help to pray for and with the parent who is struggling -- this can open doors of strength and insight that fear and shame keeps closed. Blessings and peace. Fr. Rod

Ever gonna answer???
How can I help them?