Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

What have I done ?

Father, While HIV can remain dormant for several years before the disease AIDS begins to manifest itself, what is the maximum amount of time it takes to detect the existence of HIV within one's system ? In essence if I was to engage in "risky" behavior in January of 1993, how long would I have to wait to be comfortable that I am not carrying the HIV (after a negative test result in January 1994 and taking into consideration all behaviour that would expose me to infection had stopped after the January 1993 incident).Peace in ChristThomas

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Thomas, Thank you for your letter. While we know a great deal about HIV/AIDS, how it is transmitted and how it is prevented, we do not know about the actual HIV status of a person only from their history. The only way any of us can know our HIV status is to get tested and, if circumstances warrant, to be tested regularly (that is every 4-6 months). I hope that you will avail yourself of available opportunities for testing and that you will continue to reduce/eliminate those circumstances that could put you at risk for HIV infection. If you have additional concerns about transmission/prevention, I suggest that you utilize the good resources of thebody.com and/or call the CDC AIDS Hotline at 1.800.232.4636. Blessings, Fr. Rod

A FAITH Question
I am fearful of not going to heaven