Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/ AIDS and if effects on Social Health
Mar 31, 1999

Hi my name is Chris S. and I am doing a report on the AIDS/ HIV Virus. I was wondering if you could take the time to answer my question. I am wondering what the impact of this virus can have of the social health of an individual. Thank you for taking the time to look over my submission.

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Chris, Thank you for your question. I want to begin by saying that my response is based upon my experience of journeying with many women and men living with HIV/AIDS but in no way can include the variety of effects which the virus can have on one's social health. I think that most of the time a person who finds themself living with HIV struggles with feelings of fear, shame and isolation. People become concerned about those with whom they can safely share their HIV status because of the risk of discrimination, judgment and pity. Sometimes people are afraid to talk to those with whom they already have an intimate and loving relationship for fear of losing this gift and/or having HIV get in the way. I recommend that you contact an HIV orgainzation or ministry in your area to see if you can be put in contact with people living with HIV/AIDS. Their insights and wisdom on this issue of "social health" would be most valuable for your research. Blessings and peace, Fr. Rod

Previous
HOW DO PEOPLE DEAL WITH AIDS
Next
A FAITH Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.