Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

HIV/ AIDS and if effects on Social Health

Hi my name is Chris S. and I am doing a report on the AIDS/ HIV Virus. I was wondering if you could take the time to answer my question. I am wondering what the impact of this virus can have of the social health of an individual. Thank you for taking the time to look over my submission.

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Chris, Thank you for your question. I want to begin by saying that my response is based upon my experience of journeying with many women and men living with HIV/AIDS but in no way can include the variety of effects which the virus can have on one's social health. I think that most of the time a person who finds themself living with HIV struggles with feelings of fear, shame and isolation. People become concerned about those with whom they can safely share their HIV status because of the risk of discrimination, judgment and pity. Sometimes people are afraid to talk to those with whom they already have an intimate and loving relationship for fear of losing this gift and/or having HIV get in the way. I recommend that you contact an HIV orgainzation or ministry in your area to see if you can be put in contact with people living with HIV/AIDS. Their insights and wisdom on this issue of "social health" would be most valuable for your research. Blessings and peace, Fr. Rod

HOW DO PEOPLE DEAL WITH AIDS
A FAITH Question