Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Prayers to God/Intercession of Saints

Dear Father,

A good friend of mine's sister was recently infected this past June. She is currently on medication. While in mass one day during the week, I found a novena prayer that requests the intercession of St. Anthony of Padua. This prayer is to be said for nine consecutive Tuesday's and by the Ninth Tuesday the my prayer will be answered and granted by God. St Anthony is known for his miracles. My mother received a miracle from St John Neuman ( then Blessed Neuman ) in 1949 for an incurable heart condition at that time. My question is basically two fold. What is the role of the intercession of Saints in the RC church and can their intercession be of value not only spiritually but medically as well. I am saying this novena for for my freinds sister praying that her medication cures her of this horribel disease. St Anthony is known as the Saint of Miracles who never denies anything to people who pray for his intercession. Please help and God Bless.

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Friend--First of all I want to commend you for bringing your friend's sister into your prayers to St. Anthony. The intercession of the saints has been a long-standing teaching of the Church -- however, intercession is not a guarantee in which our activities control the resluts of this intercession. In other words, we bring all our cares and concerns to God and to the saints and trust that God and the saints listen to our prayers even if the specific results we want are not forthcoming., Prayer is a relationship of trust and hope--so I want you to continue praying for this woman that she experience God's peace and love whether or not a miracle is also forthcoming. Blessings, Fr Rod

How do I live if I'm not sure I'd rather die
HOW DO PEOPLE DEAL WITH AIDS