Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

aids among catholic priests in America

I heard a TV report recently that quoted a recent survey that showed that aids amongst catholic priests in America was 4 times higher than in the general community. I have been trying to find a print reference for this, either in newspapers or online. Do you know of a written reference for this report that I could access from an Australian university? Thanks DF.

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear DF, Thanks for your inquiry. I suggest that you try to contact the Kansas City Star which initiated the article. I think that their web address is kcstar.com. I believe that the Star backed off from this statistical assumption after being criticized for its accuracy. For myself, I find this kind of comparison brings back the dangerous notion of "risk groups" which both promotes discrimination and stereotyping of a particular group and also which fosters complacency among people who do not identify with this particular risk group. I firmly believe that all humans, including priests, must be informed and responsible in their actions to prevent the further spread of this virus. Blessings, Fr. Rod

Curiosity from L.A (lower Alabama)
How do I live if I'm not sure I'd rather die