Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Spiritual Issues
Jul 14, 1998

Two questions:

How do you understand the sharpening of spiritual awareness in persons infected with HIV?

and

What are some of the core spiritual issues / problems that you've encountered among HIV+ people?

Thanks very much, Rich

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Rich,

Thank you for your very challenging questions. I am glad to share some observations from my own pastoral experience and invite others, especially those living with HIV, to "fill in the gaps".

I understand the sharpening of spiritual awareness to be connected to living with profound questions such as "What is going to happen to me? How will I co-exist with this virus? Why did this happen to me?" As these and other questions arise, I think that an individual is invited to draw upon others--including faith in God/Higher Power. This can help deal with fear, anger, loneliness and move a person to cherish and live their life more intently and respectfully.

Other core spiritual issues and problems I have observed include: how can I claim the positive aspects and benefits of my religious heritage and not get stuck behind the hurts and disappointments that I have experienced in my Church? Who can I trust with my own vulnerability as an HIV+ person and with whom can I share my journey--questions and discoveries? What 'baggage' do I want to leave behind---including my own attitudes/behaviors that may have put me at risk or anything that may weigh me down and not allow me to live my life fully now?

I realize that these touch but a few issues or problems. I look forward to your own perspective and that of others to continue to explore this issue.

Blessings, Fr. Rod

Previous
AngloCatholic and HIV+
Next
Paying for my sins?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.