Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Catholic high school teacher
Mar 1, 1998

I am a Catholic high school teacher and want to help inform my students about AIDS. I know that some of them are sexually active and I am told that I can't talk about condoms. What do I do? Sue, Chicago

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Sue,

Thanks for your question -- I was a teacher and principal of a Catholic co-ed high school in the mid-eighties when I experienced the same difficult question. I always believed that I should answer a student's questions honestly and directly -- if you or I as a teacher don't raise the issue of condoms, they inevitably will. Therefore, I would suggest not raising the issue of condoms yourself since that might be unacceptable in your school --- however, I would answer questions about condoms honestly if students bring them up. Moreover, I think that the prevention issue is more than condoms and clean needles -- it is about self worth and creating an atmosphere in the classroom and home where young people can bring their questions and needs and have them responded to with respect and care. Also, I think that most parents want their children to be informed and safe as well as encouraged and supported in delaying sexual relations and living the discipline of the Church. I found that it was good to communicate with parents about the challenges and risks around HIV/AIDS and encourage them to be informed and talk with their children -- and us as teachers about how to respect the gift of their lives and make healthy choices. I hope that you would speak with the administration of your school about parent education on raising children in challenging times.

Thanks for your ministry and concern.

Blessings, Fr. Rod

Previous
Punishment from G-d
Next
Muslim(Islam), and Aids/HIV and Recitation Of Holy Verses of Koran

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.