Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am ready to die?
Mar 17, 1999

Father,

I am a 29yo woman. I hold a MA in catholic theology and know deeply that God loves me. I was diagnosed one year ago and although my story is very complicated I always come back to the fact that I need to deal with my dying. I would not mind if the progression were faster only because I do not fear suffering as much as I fear the reprocussions of committing suicide. I am not depressed nor hopeless. I have people that love me and people I deeply love.

Some say it is a terminal illness and therefore gives allowance to suicide as an option. I cannot wrestle with the fact that it is still taking my own life, yet was that not what I did when I contracted HIV? Please help me to be okay with this. I am not sure I am asking whether to be okay with death or suicide? Is there any allowance for suicide?

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear friend,

Thank you for your very honest and heartfelt message. While I cannot pretend to know what it is like to be young, living with HIV and feeling surrounded by fear and uncertainty. AT the same time I hope and pray that you can find reason for and support for living despite the future unknowns. I hear you blaming yourself and suggesting that you chose suffering and death. Instead I invite you to consider those who know, love and support you, despite the virus, and consider choosing life and future with them. You say that "some say AIDS is a terminal illness"--I would invite you to not let the words terminal or life-threatening rob you or your right to live out all your days with courage, optimism and faith. Ask God to help you understand the Scriptural invitation to choose life. I will keep you in prayer and would be happy to even speak with you personally on e-mail or phone. I would like to send you a copy of a wonderful talk given by the late theologian Henri Nouwen called "Befriending Death" which was delivered to people living with HIV/AIDS and their careproviders at the National Catholic HIV/AIDS Ministry Conference in 1995. I can be reached at ncan@sonic.net or at 707-874-3031. May God's peace embrace you. Fr. Rod

Previous
Very scared and sad, please help me
Next
I don't know how to deal with losing Robin.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.