Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I help being Gay?
Oct 29, 1998

Dr. Father,I am a 37 year old male and am attracted to men and have had sexual encounters. I am also a Catholic. In several places in the Bible, including Romans 1:27 it appears that homosexuality is wrong and an abomination. This causes me much guilt spiritually, not to mention the extreme fear I have for STD's and HIV. I am currently HIV negative. My faith is also not as strong as I would like it to be.My questions are: What is the Catholics churches position for a person like myself? Should I repress these feelings and acting on them? There is a girl who is very interested in me, should I try to pursue a relationship with her in the hopes I might ultimately marry her and lead a heterosexual life, while repressing any homosexual thoughts? Faith is a difficult thing. If I *knew* what Jesus wanted me to do, I would do it. If God would just tell me His will, I'd do what He wants. Am I reading the Bible correctly about homosexuality? I am very confused now. Thanks in advance, your thoughts are appreciated.Dave

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Dave,Thank you for sharing your questions with me. I sense the struggle and hope that I can provide some understanding and direction for you. First of all, the Bishops of the United States recently wrote a letter directed to parents of gay and lesbian children entitled "Always Our Children" Some of the points made include: 1. "God loves every person as a unique individual....God does not love someone any less simply because he or she is homosexual...." 2. "Everyone--the homosexual and heterosexual person---is called to personal maturity and responsibility...integrating one's thoughts, feelings and actions, in the area of human sexuality, in a way that values and respects one's own dignity and that of others." The Church has, for many years, accepted that sexual orientation is a gift of God and God asks everyone---homosexual or heterosexual---to use this orientation for good and life-giving purposes. I suggest that you may want to find a spiritual guide that you could continue to talk with--I would be happy to recommend someone closer---if you would like to contact me directly by e-mail at ncan@sonic.net I can offer some suggestions. In the meanwhile, I keep you in my prayers espcially that you may know and feel God's love for you. Fr. Rod

Previous
Can't Cope With This
Next
I feel anger toward God, how do I deal with it?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.