Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

One Catholic's Struggle

I am Catholic and proud of this committment to God. However, when friends learn that I am Catholic there is this instant negative reaction. "Catholic's believe that homosexuality is a sin" is a typical response and I do not feel this way. I love my faith in God, I am also accepting of diverse people and loving of others who may lead different lifestyles. I guess my question has to do with changing perceptions of the old style of thinking surrounding Catholicism. My usual response when people question my faith is " I am Catholic but do not agree with some of the historic viewpoints." Do you think that the Catholic church will begin to recognize and support individuals for who they are regardless of who they love? Sincerely, Ann

Response from Father DeMartini

Dear Ann.Your question is challenging and yet, as I listen to the Gospel, I think that Jesus emphasized the value and worth of every person who he also accepted as worthy of redemption. Living up to this call has been a challenge for us as individual Christians and to the Church as an instituion. However I believe that we are immensely capable of expressing the love Jesus taught albeit we have to constantly be supported and challenged in this regard. Renmember that the gift of faith we have received is more inclsuive and mysterious than any discipline or "historic viewpoint. The Church has certainly grown wiser over the centuries and, I trust and pray, will contiune to do so with the Spirit's help. Finally, remember the challnge to each of us to love as Jesus did so that his message and ministry can live in us and help touch the hurt and shame which many lesbian and gay people experience. I pray that you and I can be better bearers of this love. Fr. Rod

Guilt/Anxiety about Homosexual Activity
Can't Cope With This