Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Controlled by Fear
Dec 13, 1996

I had relations with a woman in the beginning of 1992, I was tested for hiv in the middle of 1993. In the summer of 1994 I had another opportunity (but very low to no risk) of getting hiv. In the last month or two I have been sick or not felt 100% physically. I had strep throat, and then a couple of weeks later have pneumonia. Now on the back of my tongue it is off white and there are bumps that are there (on the back of my tongue.) Do I have any reason to be afraid? I am very afraid. I know I need to get tested, but I really don't know if I can go through getting tested again. Last time I was tested it was for the military, and I had no choice, plus I wasn't worried about it like I am now (since I have been sick and everything). I wish I could get that comfort I had at one time. I guess I need to start putting my trust in the Lord, and find out what is wrong with me. Thanks so much for a response to my question.

Response from Rev. Pieters

Please see a doctor as soon as possible, and share with the physician the concerns you have shared with me. Take the test. If you go to an anonymous testing site, they will provide you with professional counseling before and after your test, to help you through the fear you are experiencing. You will always live with that fear until you take the test. Do it now.

Yes, trust in the Lord. Jesus says in Mark 5:36, "Do not be afraid. Just have faith." Believe that God is with you, that God loves you and wants you to get through this fear. God will be with you no matter what your test results are.

For additional reflections on this topic, please read my Column #5: "Fear and Faith." Also check out my answer to "On Finding Strength."

God will give you everything you need to face your fear and this situation. So start taking action, and at the same time, let God in, and trust in God's will for your life.

Previous
Trapped in a Destructive Relationship
Next
On Finding Strength

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.