Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

I don't understand why

I admit that for two years (partly due to severe depression) I made several mistakes. I have asked God for forgiveness several times and believe that God does forgive me for my sins. However, if God only wants the best for me, then why do I have HIV? How can having HIV and losing my husband, his family, and my family be the best thing for me? Why is my one time on earth full of this suffering, pain, and this disease?

Response from Rev. Pieters

HIV/AIDS is not a divine punishment for you or anyone else, according to my belief system. God does not use disease or tragedy to punish people. In the face of the suffering, pain, and disease that afflicts this world, God brings mercy and loving kindness and compassion.

As I write this, the world is mourning the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. Is her violent death a punishment from God towards her, her children or her family? I believe, along with countless others, that her death was a horrible, tragic accident. God's role in all of this is as Comforter and Sustainer.

Please read "HIV/AIDS: Is It God's Judgment?" found here at The Body. That article delves deeply into the questions you are asking.

Suffering, pain and disease are a reality of this world. Many people of faith believe that God is present with us through the worst, loving us, healing us, and bringing us to fullness of life, even with HIV or AIDS.

Made a mistake: Am I 'in for it'?
PUNISHMENT