Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are the benefits from massage?
Apr 1, 1997

I am currently enrolled in a Massage Therapy College and I would like to know more about the benefits that massage treatment may bring to those who have AIDS?

Response from Rev. Pieters

Physiologically, I'm not at all sure what massage does for persons living with HIV/AIDS. But I do believe that it benefits us, because it relaxes our bodies, and helps us pay attention to our bodies. Touch can be very healing.

Relaxation of the body through meditation is something I tried to do every single day I was sick (and should probably still be doing!), even when I was in great pain from cancer treatments or illness. I found that during my weekly massage, when I was able to focus on relaxing the muscles around the pain through slow, deep breathing, the pain actually lessened. That relief, in turn, gave my body a better chance to heal.

My weekly massages supplemented my daily meditations as a good way to pay attention to my body. What was my body telling me with that pain in my lower back or my forehead? Where did I need to focus my compassion to bring healing? Oftentimes my massage therapist would tell me that she felt a lot of anger in my arms, or anxiety in my back. That began an exploration of the issues which led to the anger or anxiety. I often felt that massage sped up the therapeutic process.

Getting touched and rubbed every week was healing in and of itself. As a single gay man with AIDS in the early and mid-1980's, I felt quite untouchable from time to time. It was always healing to feed my hunger for touch with a good massage. It helped me continue to feel connected and cared for at a time when I was feeling more and more detached and sometimes isolated.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal. I'm sure there are scientific studies which would give you a better understanding of the physical benefits of massage. But spiritually, I truly believe that massage can be healing, through whatever stage of HIV we may be living. Jesus often healed with touch. People of many faiths have used touch and massage to convey caring and compassion. Being lovingly cared for, and lovingly caring for our bodies can be terrifically healing to the spirit, and hence to the body as well. They are connected!.

Previous
Music as a healer
Next
need help finding my way

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.